I'm still in the planning stages for my system but I plan to make room to stuff another York under the hood.
Until I figure all of that out, here's a few links with some cool ideas on building your own on board air compressor system:
- http://www.jeepfreak.com/york_compressor_install.htm DEAD LINK! I have the text of that page saved but cannot add it until I contact the author.
- York Compressor On Board Air "How To"
- If ya do the York conversion, here's more info regarding keeping it oiled up!
- http://www.cottora.com/mods/images/air1.jpg DEAD LINK!
- And another XJ specific installation!
- Make a CHEAP portable compressor using a '84 Fleetwood Brougham suspension compressor. (Ask for it by name!) http://www.geocities.com/xj gper/OBA/Picture027.txt DEAD LINK!
- Or ya can go the $$$ route instead!
Of the above ideas, the one I like best was at www.jeepfreak.com (DEAD LINK!) where he shoehorned a York under the hood. I have the text of that page saved but cannot add it until I contact the author.
For simplicity, or just leaving a bit of room under the hood using GMC or Caddy air suspension compressors in tandem to parallel pump into a tank might be the way to go. No, ya won't be running air tools direct off one of them but you can find these pumps for next to nothing at most any auto salvage yard and have a reliable source of air for inflating tires and filling air tanks. You can also find those York compressors in scrap yards disguised as air conditioning compressors. A friend recently bought a heavy duty York for $40 and with a bit of welding for a bracket easily added on board air to his Scrambler.
If you have pics of your own repairs or can suggest other methods - please contribute your ideas (and pictures) to this article!
November 21, 2006